Friday, December 31, 2010

Are you making a New Year's Resolution?

'I used to make new years resolutions when I was younger and (of course) things fell apart or were forgotten after a few weeks.  Years of doing that have made me not want to make resolutions the last few years.  However, I realize I need to, and want to, make some changes and lately I've been thinking about making some resolutions.  What it really comes down to is taking better care of my body - what I put in it and what I do to it - so that means eating better and finding and doing exercises that are gentle on my knees and back.  After watching my husband do this last year and seeing how much better he felt and looked, I know I will have support and encouragement from him.  What I need to do is give myself the support and encouragement to do this, and that comes from spending time in God's word and receiving support and encouragement there.  And not only for taking care of my body, but for everything in life.  The daily devotions on the Proverbs 31 site have been wonderful for me, and today's devotion was no exception.  Wendy Blight talks about writing a new year's prayer - this is part of what she said:

Committing to a New Year’s Resolution will not necessarily bring profound lasting life change. Committing your heart to God…studying, learning, and praying His Word…that is what will bring eternal, lasting life transformation.

I invite you to join me this year in writing a New Year’s Prayer. To begin, examine your New Year’s Resolution and prayerfully ask the Lord to reveal the heart issue behind it. Ask Him to lead you through His Word to verses that directly address what you hear.

Listen to the power of God’s promise in our key verse today: “For the Word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires” (Hebrews 4:12, NLT).

Once you have found your verses, take each one and personalize it. Then join them together, along with your own words to make a prayer. Copy your prayer into a journal or notebook.

Friend, Isaiah 55 is God’s PROMISE to you. If you pray His Word over your life…over your heart…over your home, He will be FAITHFUL to prosper it and make it bear fruit!

This really is nothing new to my ears.  I've been told several times to do this, and I have done it....I need to do it more often.  Like all the time.  So, take the verses that God leads you to and write a prayer for yourself.  Your very own personalized new year's prayer...I'm sure you will find it better than any resolution you will make.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...