Monday, February 6, 2012

Chipotle Barbacoa Beef Recipe

Recently Carl asked to have a Mexican fiesta for dinner and specifically asked for Chipotle's barbacoa beef.  I searched for a recipe and found this one and then this one, but decided on this recipe. We love their barbacoa beef and I thought it would be fairly easy to make, but have you tried to find canned chipotle peppers?  What about Mexican oregano?  They weren't available in my little grocery store so I had to travel to the next town over and I was able to find the peppers.  Still don't know what Mexican oregano is, but I'll probably google that later. And in my search for the special peppers, I saw a large bag of dried chipotle peppers Walmart for a little over $5 and the small, itty bitty can cost almost $3!!  Guess what I'll be buying next time?  And the outcome....Carl thought it was different that Chipotle's barbacoa beef, but he really liked it (specifically, two thumbs up). 


If you want to make your own version of Chipotle's barbacoa beef by using this recipe, read more about it after the jump....


 
Recipe courtesy of Chipotle Fan

1/3 c apple cider vinegar
3 T lime juice
3-4 chipotle peppers; canned, no sauce
4 cloves garlic
4 t cumin; toast & grind whole seeds
2 t dried Mexican oregano
1 1/2 t ground black pepper
1 1/2 t salt
1/2 t whole clove; toast & grind
2 T vegetable oil
4 lbs chuck roast
3/4 c chicken broth
3 bay leaves
*Use a coffee grinder to grind cumin and cloves. Measure after grinding. (I used ground cumin and was out of cloves)

1. Make adobo sauce by combining vinegar, lime juice, peppers, garlic, cumin, oregano, black pepper, salt and clove in a blender or food processor and puree on high speed until smooth.
2. Trim the fat from the meat, and then slice the roast into 6 smaller pieces. Sear all sides of the chunks of meat in 2 tablespoons of oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat until browned. Place in crock pot on low. Add the adobo sauce to the meat, pour in the chicken broth and
add the bay leaves. Cook 6-8 hours, leaving the lid off the crockpot for the last 1-2 hours.

I'm linking up to Skip to my Lou's Made by you Monday link party.  Check it out please!
 
Enjoy!
Pam

2 comments:

Tina @ Babycakes Blog said...

I love the Barbacoa Beef at Chipotle! Thanks for sharing this recipe, I have a recipe for the cilantro rice from Chipotle pinned too, so that would be great to duplicate their burrito. So glad that I found you via the Made by you Monday Link Party.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really sounds terrific. I am new to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a great spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...