Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Flowering Fern

The winter thaw has turned my mind to gardening and trying to come up with a plan to keep garden maintenance to a minimum.  I have so many hostas and have started to incorporate ferns and other shade loving plants waiting for them to grow (which has turned out to be a wonderful tool for keeping weeds under control), but I'm ready for something a little different.  This weekend, I found this beauty in a coupon insert ad for Brecks and they're calling it a flowering fern.  Here's the description from the Brecks site: 

Flowering Fern is known for its attractive, textured, fernlike foliage and striking, trumpet-shaped blooms. Each plant features 3-5 statuesque stalks that reach up to 18" tall and are loaded with beautiful pink flowers. This perennial multiplies freely and forms neat clumps up to 18" wide. Makes a lovely border addition. Adored by hummingbirds. Not a true fern, it needs a bit of sun to thrive. Plant in full sun to partial shade.

Photo courtesy of Brecks

This is definitely going to be added to my gardens this summer for a splash of color (and my favorite color too).  Have you been thinking about your gardens already?  What are some of your favorite plants?

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

That is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Well of course, the water-craving hydrangea is my favorite, and so difficult to grow here, but I persevere!! lol

Sherri said...

Unfortunately in Texas, in our sun bathed back yard, I need only full sun plants that don't die of heat stroke.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...