Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hearty Minestrone Soup Mix

Well, I'm finally getting around to posting the soup recipe that I talked about earlier.  My family really liked it and I will definitely make it again.  Talking about recipes makes me think of food, food makes me think of veggies, and veggies make me think of having a garden.  Speaking of gardens, I recently was at a luncheon at work and the owner of Tranquil Ridge Farms spoke about his farm and other places to buy locally grown fruits, veggies, and meats.  Another place that has great meat is Moody Meats in Ladoga.  Please check out both of those links if you have time.  So while I'm waiting for the bountiful harvest of goodies from my garden, I'll be checking out these places among others and also some farmers markets close to home. 

Are you planning on planting a garden or going to a farmers market?  Do you have a favorite place to buy good quality meats and cheeses?  Sure the prices are a bit higher than what you would pay at a grocery store, but sometimes the taste and quality are well worth the extra money spent.


Hearty Minestrone Soup Mix
A Pampered Chef Recipe

1/4 c. beef bouillon granules
1/4 c. dehydrated minced onions
1/4 c. dried parsley flakes
1 tblsp dried basil leaves
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves
3/4 c. dried red kidney beans
3/4 c. dried Great Northern beans
12 c. water
1 can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 medium zucchini, sliced
2 carrots, chopped
1 1/2 c. (6 oz) dried tri-color cheese tortellini
Parmesan cheese

In large stockpot, combine first 11 ingredients; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover.  Simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.  Add 1 can stewed tomatoes, undrained, garlic, tortellini, carrots, and zucchini to soup. Bring mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes or until pasta is tender.  Sprinkle with grated fresh Parmesan cheese, if desired. 

Yield:  12 servings.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...