Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Cast Iron Cooking

I have another confession....I am in love with my cast iron skillet. I love cooking in it because it makes food taste so incredibly good and yummy, and I use it almost every single day.  Sometimes multiple times a day.  It might even be considered one of my BFFs.  This summer my favorite foods to cook in it were asparagus and brussel sprouts.  Click here to learn how to make these veggies my way.  

I actually have a set of skillets that belonged to my grandmother and two dutch ovens and a griddle that belonged to my parents.  I've been thinking recently about using more of the skillets than just the 10" that I use so often; however, when I looked for them, I couldn't find them anywhere.  Let me tell you that I was just a bit worried.  I've cleaned out so much junk this summer and was worried that I got rid of them by mistake.  Just a little wee bit of stress!  If you only knew how much my grammy meant to me, you would know why I had to find those pans.  I even called one of my sisters and cross examined asked her if she had them, and she did have some but unfortunately they weren't the ones I was looking for.   So, after looking all through the house and interrogating my poor baby sister, the light bulb in my little head turned on and I thought that I should look in the garage.  Bingo, score, found them!  Ok, I'm not going to lie....Carl found them for me.  Would you like to see a picture of my little beauties?

The pans that make me smile...

This is one of the dutch ovens.  The other one is still in the attic.

They all needed to be cleaned and one has some bad rust spots that need to be sanded off, but I'm thrilled to have them where I can see them.  In my excitement, I had to look for a good website for everything cast iron and these are what I found so far: Cooking with Trader Joe'sWhats Cooking AmericaHealthy Cast Iron Recipes, Dutch Oven CookingByron's Dutch Oven Cooking Page, and Texas Cooking.

Well, it's time to say goodnight and dream about my pans and the meals we'll be making together.....
 

2 comments:

michaeltuuk said...

Nancy and the girls are in love with cast iron too -- they don't cook with anything else. We've got 2 Dutch ovens, a regular pot, 11 different skillets, and a big griddle. I've been eating well...probably a bit too well.

Kindra-At Home With K said...

It seems like food tastes better when it's made in cast iron! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...